Today we celebrate 175 Years of Civil Engineering at Rensselaer!
- the C.E. degree was first awarded on October 14, 1835
- the course could be completed in one calendar year
- the C.E. degree was virtually the only degree granted at RPI from 1850 to 1911
- the course was extended to a three year program in 1850 then a four year program in 1861
- beginning in 1897, a summer survey course was required for all third year students
- beginning in 1908, the summer survey requirement consisted of a three-week topographical survey at the end of the second year and a three-week railroad survey after the third year
- the summer survey requirement was discontinued after 1957
- a master's degree in civil engineering was first awarded in 1917
- a doctor of civil engineering (D.C.E.) degree was first awarded in 1933
- a Ph.D. in civil engineering was first awarded in 1956
- Environmental Engineering was part of the Civil Engineering department from 1958 to 1967
- the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering was created in 1992
If you have any other interesting facts about CE at RPI, leave a comment!