my list of big name concerts at RPI

My post regarding big name concerts has been one of the most popular posts on this blog. There are some great comments about concert memories and tips that have led me to more information.  I have referred to “my list” of RPI concerts and it’s about time I shared that list!  I put it in a pdf file so the blog is not barraged with extraneous concert searches.  If you remember any of these concerts or have information about concerts not on the list, please leave a comment!

My List of Big Name Concerts

[Please note: I started at 1960 and moved forward so concerts from the last ten years have not been added yet.]

This entry was posted in Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History, RPI Trivia and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to my list of big name concerts at RPI

1. Eric Maiwald says:

I recall that Alabama played the Field House sometime during my time at RPI – I was there from 83 until 87 and I think it would have been 1984 maybe?

Also, there was the concert that wasn’t – Heart and Kansas. One of the Heart singers had a sore throat so both groups cancelled. 🙁 This was in 1986/1987 I believe.

2. Christine Schultheiss says:

From my father, Arthur, who attended RPI in the 70s:

“Here are some additional shows I attended which are not listed:

Jackson Browne and Orleans – September 14, 1976 (my first concert at RPI a week or two after I arrived):

Boston May, 1977 – the night before the Math 2 final (which I flunked). Strangely there is no reference to this show on the internet. I swear I was there.

Emerson Lake and Palmer February 6, 1978 – sat 4th row in front of Keith Emerson, certainly one of the best rock keyboard players ever (Rick Wakeman may be better). Amazing show.

And the one I had 20 tickets for when their plane crashed October, 1977 – Lynyrd Skynyrd. Wish I had keep one of the tickets for the $10-12 I paid.

It is absolutely amazing the quality and quantity of concerts we had in and around the time I was at RPI.

They are also missing at least 2 other big ones in 1987. One was Rush and the other was Jethro Tull who opened their 1987 tour at RPI (I did not go back for either).”

• amythearchivist says:

Christine, thanks for the concert information! I have heard from several sources that there was a Boston concert in May 1977, but I have not been able to find a primary source of information to pin down the exact date. I verified the Emerson Lake & Palmer concert and Jackson Browne & Orleans performed here October 10, 1976 so those have been added to my list. The Lynryd Skynyrd concert was scheduled for November 20, 1977 exactly one month after the plane crash. The Rush concert on November 12th was sandwiched between concerts by Jethro Tull on the 10th and Alice Cooper on the 13th. The Field House must have had some loose bolts after that week!

3. 91? Poison
    92? Ozzy and Smashing Pumpkins
    92-3? Public Enemy, Anthrax, and Primus

4. Dewey Finn says:

I did a Google search for tour histories and found the site http://www.songkick.com/. I went through all the venues listed in Troy, NY and came up with the following additions. Note that there were some other concerts listed, but I tried to concentrate on the significant acts. The obvious way to generate a comprehensive list would be to go through the Poly newspaper archives, which would be laborious (although you might just need to look for the events calendar page, or a page at the beginning of each semester giving the concert schedule).

Cyndi Lauper, November 9, 1984. (Confirmation: http://cyndilaupernews.com/documents/fun_tour_dates.html)

Neil Young and Crazy Horse with Sonic Youth, February 9, 1991.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, November 5, 1991. (Another site listed Smashing Pumpkins on this date. Either a double-bill or a mistake somewhere.)

They Might Be Giants, March 28, 1998 and September 29, 1990.

Jane’s Addiction, April 27, 1991.

Van Morrison, April 11, 1970.

Bob Dylan, October 27, 1989. (Confirmation: http://www.bobdylan.com/#/tour/1989-10-27-houston-fieldhouse)

• amythearchivist says:

Wow, Dewey, good find! I’ve used various web sites with tour histories, but had not come across this one. I HAVE done laborious searches through The Poly and that is how I generated most of my list. Thanks so much for this concert information. I’ll add them to the list and post an updated version as soon as I can.

• amythearchivist says:

BTW, I found information about the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert last week. The Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam all played here on 11/5/1991

5. kim says:

I saw my first concert- Cinderella, Bullet Boys and Winger in 87? I am looking to find the exact year but am having a hard time, that’s how I found your site!

6. catherine says:

I just stumbled across this. I wanted to comment on the 1971 Blood Sweat and Tears Concert. Don McClean opened for BS&T. The next morning everyone on Campus was singing, “Bye, bye, Miss American Pie. .. .”

7. paul says:

i saw supertramp at the fieldhouse 4 days after my 19th b-day may 29th 1979. what a show! if i remember correctly it seems to me that it reminded me of a circus.

8. Erin L says:

3/2/99- The Offspring. Opening bands were The Living End and Ozomatli.

I still remember, at the tender age of 9 or 10, mom saying “Wow, you kids are going to get contact high here”… it only took 8 years to figure out what the hell the funny smell, in conjunction with the comment, meant.

• amythearchivist says:

Thanks for your comment about this concert. I’ll add the information to the concert list.

9. Joe says:

Thanks for compiling this list! The 1998 concert by They Might Be Giants was in the RPI Union (in the McNeil Room), and it’s likely that the 1990 show was too, although I can’t find my ticket from that one.

10. Janet says:

Just stumbled on this – not sure if these qualify as “big names,” but I remember seeing Bob Mould (of Husker Du) in the McNeil room and NRBQ in the West Hall Auditorium. Both were somewhere between 1989 and 1991.

11. Erin Miller says:

From my dad when I told him about the concerts listed,

Very cool!
    (my memory was alittle fogged on the exact dates, but…

2/6/1978
    RPI Field House
    4/26/1980
    Frank Zappa
    RPI Field House
    2nd appearance

12. MelissaA says:

I took a look at the file of big name concerts at RPI and I think are still a few missing. I also remember seeing Wang Chung and Jefferson Starship/Airplane. I believe it was in the brief period of time when they were just called “Starship.” Glace Slick did perform. I am pretty sure these concerts were at the Field House. I believe Wang Chung was the warm-up band for someone else at the time, so maybe whatever band that was is listed. I was at RPI from 1982-1986, so it would have been during that time period.

13. MelissaA says:

A little research on when songs were released leads me to believe Starship/Jefferson Starship played at RPI in 1985 or 1986.

14. Joe says:

Yes, Starship performed in the Field House on 11/16/85, on a double bill with Night Ranger. I still have the ticket stub from that one.

15. amythearchivist says:

Melissa & Joe – thanks for filling in this missing information! I’ve updated the file. I’ll see what I can find on the Wang Chung gig.

16. JohnD says:

I seem to remember the group Boston playing there
    in the late seventies

17. Bob says:

A few I remember in the mid-70’s (71 through 76…played either what was then “The Armory” or the “RPI Fiiedhouse”.

> “The Carpenters” in the Armory
    > “Chicago” in The Armory
    > “Richie Havens” at the fieldhouse (way before the name change)
    > America in The Armory

…….and I’m sure a few more.

18. lc says:

Bob Mould was Fall 1990, Black Sheets of Rain tour. So, so, so, so loud and awesome

NRBQ and Buckwheat Zydeco was in the McNeil room in spring 1989, I think during GM week or right before finals.

Camper vanBeethoven was West Hall in Fall 1988.

• ML says:

RE: Bob Mould… I remember one of Mark Sandmans bands opening up.., probably Morphine… but could have been Treat her Right. Great Freaking show!

19. CH says:

Stryper & Hurricane – Nov. 1988
    Attica, Testament & Slayer – early ’90s (local band Attica filled in for Sepultura)
    Marilyn Manson & L7 – mid ’90s

All at the field house

20. Rich says:

Seals and Crofts – Spring 1974 at the RPI Field House. My first date with my wife

21. Gary Perkinson says:

An old thread, I know, but I saw the Dead at the Fieldhouse in May ’78, Springsteen in December ’78, and Supertramp in May ’79…

22. klemen says:

Zappa Concert: Stockholm 1973. The performance dates to a 1973 or 74 performance on a Swedish TV show called Oopoppa. There are videos of this performance floating about. Evidently there were 2 sets accomplished – one maybe for the “official” show, and a second videotaped set that was perhaps broadcast separately. ….http://frankzapppa.blogspot.com/2013/12/concert-stockholm-1973.html

23. Jennifer Moore-Warren says:

I attended the Stryper/Hurricane concert at RPI but thought that it was earlier than 1988. I’m thinking like 86. I can’t find any info on it and have been looking for a long time. It was the first concert I ever attended so one would think I would remember the date. Oh well. Anyhow it was a great a great concert, loud heavy metal music, lights, pyrotechnics and bibles, drumsticks, and guitar picks flying.

• Matt Henzel says:

@Jennifer Moore-Warren:
      You are correct.
      The Stryper/Hurricane concert at R.P.I. was in 1986.
      It was my first ever concert and I had a great time.
      I still have the ticket stub! 🙂

24. Matt Henzel says:

CORRECTION… It was actually 1987.

After some extensive searching I am now 100% sure of this.

My ticket stub has the date cut off. but it says “7:30PM TUE”
    I kept searching for “Stryper Hurricane RPI”, but came up short.
    I then found Timothy Gaines’ list of old tours and found this:
    “200. 03-10-87, Poly Institute, Troy, NY.”
    Then looking up March 10th, 1987, and it is in fact a Tuesday.. BINGO!
    That’s where I was on that day as a 15 year old Stryper fan. 🙂

25. steve says:

A couple more to add: Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Beck played a show from their joint tour in Fall of ’89 (I forget the exact date). I think it was SRV’s last tour. Also, NRBQ played the McNeil Room at least a couple of times in the late 70s/early 80s. And then there were the Blotto shows… 🙂

26. Francis Bossolini '89 says:

Also – Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (separate tours) c. 1989. I think Michael Schenker opened for Page. (i worked t-shirt security at the time and led Jimmy to the stage)

27. Greg says:

I remember my first Field House show as being Mahavishnu Orchestra with Frampton’s Camel. Anybody else got any idea about this one?

28. Barry says:

I can t believe that no one has mentioned the monstrous snowstorm the night of Emerson Lake and Palmer. Our taxi got stuck in the snow.

• Lou Lambruschi says:

I met Carl Palmer a couple years ago – he remembered that night…”snow was blowing into the dressing room” at the fieldhouse. I lived close enough to walk home!

29. Gary says:

Who wants to help me with this one. My first concert ever was here at RPI Fieldhouse. It was 4 bands. Tesla, Badlands, Great White, need help with the last band.

• Francis Bossolini says:

I remember working the show backstage (c 90-01), but I don’t remember the 4th act. It was a Tesla/Great White double-bill, with Badlands (Jake E. Lee, guitarist).

30. Don says:

Neil young and the international harvester band late eighties and Supertramp in the same one period

31. Greg says:

I have half a ticket stub from Dick Clark’s American Bandstand Tour, which visited the Fieldhouse in 1989 and featured The Guess Who, The Association, The Drifters and The Spinners. All I can tell is from the half-stub is that it took place on a Friday, likely during a month starting with M. Would love to suss out the actual date.

32. GRAND PA ROCK'S says:

Here is a list of what I have for the field house.
    BLOTTO, THE DRONGOS & ROOT BOY SLIM – 9/15/1984
    BOB DYLAN – SUPPORT ACT JASON AND THE SCORCHERS 10/27/1989
    BOB DYLAN – SUPPORT ACT NATALIE MERCHANT 2/22/1999
    BOSTON – 5/8/1977
    EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER – 2/6/1978
    FRANK ZAPPA – 4/26/1980
    JETHRO TULL – 10/23/1989
    NEIL YOUNG & THE INTERNATIONAL HARVESTERS – 8/15/1985
    NEIL YOUNG AND CRAZY HORSE – 9/24/1986
    NEIL YOUNG AND CRAZY HORSE SUPPORT ACTS – SONIC YOUTH & SOCIAL DISTORTION – 2/9/1991
    POISON – 2/11/1989
    COUNTING CROWS – 10/4/2002
    MATCHBOX TWENTY – 9/23/2000
    DEF LEPPARD – 2/6/2000
    O.A.R. – 11/19/2005
    JEFFERSON STARSHIP (NO GRACE SLICK) SUPPORT ACT LIVE WIRE – 11/18/1979

33. John says:

many thanks for the list! brings back a flood of memories. I saw the Grateful Dead, ELP and Frank Zappa at RPI in the mid to late 70’s. always a great time there. the only downside was the night of ELP was a nasty upstate NY snow storm.
    really liked growing up in that area. seemed that all the colleges (RPI, Russel Sage, Albany State, Sienna and Union) would try to out do the other for bands. don’t know if they do that so much anymore.

34. Rich Turner says:

Looking for anything from the 11/06/1976 Zappa show, like a poster, ad or ticket stub. My first date with my wife-to-be. :). Thanks!

35. Lonnie Lykins says:

Rolling Stones beer and blanket show (no seats, just the floor of Field House) 1964 or 1965. Carry in a blanket and all the beer you want! Stones walked off stage twice, once when someone threw a beer can onstage, and once when someone yelled a slur which also is the name of a bundle of sticks. Both times they were talked into returning. They were touring the Northeast US at about that time.