Mystery Image #3

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time for another round of Mystery Image. There is still a thick folder of unidentified photographs on my desk so let’s get to it! My best guess about this prof is that he is/was in the School of Engineering. The nicely written notes on the blackboard are Greek to this history nerd.

I like the self-satisfied, arms crossed pose. Do you recognize him? If so, click on Comments and ring in — wait that’s another show — type in?!

This entry was posted in Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History, unidentified photographs and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Mystery Image #3

1. Michael D. MathStudent says:

Ah, i was wondering why you never gave the names to these images. they really are a mystery!

2. Amy says:

A mystery that I hope some reader can solve! I just need a name to put with the face so I can file this photograph where it belongs. 🙂

3. anonymous alum says:

I believe the picture (mystery image 3) might be Henry B. Hollinger – he was a Chemistry Professor that I had for Physical Chemistry. He was one of the most generous professors that used to have hours and hours and hours of office hours. He was always (or seemingly so) available for help. My thoughts are very well echoed in the article below. He had a way of making things amazingly easy given the complexity of the topics.

Take a look at: http://www.rpi.edu/magazine/fall2005/mail.html – there’s a pic there that looks pretty similar. I believe some of the stuff on the board could be thermodynamics kind of stuff (pertinent to P. Chem..)

4. amythearchivist says:

Yes, that’s him! This is great! Thanks for the info and the link to the Rensselaer Magazine. I actually provided that photograph for the magazine — yet it didn’t tip me off to the unidentified image. : Hey, its more fun this way anyhow!

5. Ken says:

My first guess was Bob Block from Nuclear Eng’g. Here is a photo of him:

Henry Hollinger’s son David works in CS ar RPI. Run the photo by him. Here is his webpage:

6. Joann Taylor says:

I have fabulous memories of Dr. Hollinger, who was, indeed, one of the best teachers and nicest men I ever encountered at RPI. I was lucky enough to have him on my Doctoral committee.