Van der Heyden Mansion

The Rensselaer Institute, desiring a better location, moved into the Van der Heyden Mansion or "Walnut Grove" in 1834. The Mansion, constructed in 1794 by Jacob Van der Heyden, was a two-story brick structure located on the southwest corner of Grand Division and Eighth Streets. Stephen Van Rensselaer financed the building of a laboratory and study rooms on the site. The Institute leased the property for five years and renewed the lease for an additional two years until 1841.

Back to top