Mrs. C. Whitney Tillinghast presented the Institute with a gateway to be placed where the road from the '86 Athletic Field met Sage Ave. on the east side of the '87 Gymnasium. The gateway was made of columns and walls of Harvard brick and limestone trimmings and gates of ornamental iron. It was erected in 1914 at a cost of $4,300. The gate was removed in 1937 to make way for an addition to the '87 Gymnasium. A new entrance from Sage Ave. was made between the '87 Gym and Ricketts Building. The Tillinghast Gate was redesigned and rebuilt, retaining the original iron side gates.