The Houston Field House began its existence as a Navy warehouse in Davisville, Rhode Island. The structure was acquired by the Institute in 1946 for use as a sports arena. The warehouse shell was dismantled, moved to the Rensselaer campus, erected and an interior constructed. The new field house was dedicated during the 125th Anniversary of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in October, 1949. It was named after RPI President Livingston Houston who spearheaded the project.