The F. E. Gallagher Memorial Infirmary was built on the site of the former Snack Bar next to the 15th Street Lounge. The Snack Bar was constructed from surplus barracks in 1947 to ease overcrowding in campus dining halls. The structure was gutted and converted into an infirmary in 1955. The infirmary featured a fifteen bed ward, examination rooms, isolation rooms, offices, kitchen facilities and a solarium. The Manning-Gallagher Foundation provided funding for the building which was named in memory of Francis E. Gallagher, a Rensselaer trustee who died in 1950. The infirmary structure was removed to make way for the Biotechnology Research Center opened in 2004. The F. E. Gallagher Health Center was relocated to Academy Hall in 2003.