The construction of the Main Building in 1864 marked the beginning of the steady expansion of Rensselaer’s campus up the hill on Troy’s eastern edge. There were two exceptions: the Gymnasium (the subject of our December 3 post) built just … Continue reading
The staff of the Institute Archives is pleased to announce the digitization of back issues of RPI’s student newspaper, The Rensselaer Polytechnic. As of January 2014, 121 volumes (1869, 1885-2001) are fully searchable in the library’s digital repository. That’s roughly … Continue reading
This gallery contains 6 photos.
Lately we’ve been reviewing our collections for information about the era in which the first women students were admitted to Rensselaer. This occurred in the fall of 1942, after the United States entered World War II, as industries clamored for … Continue reading
This weekend (October 4-6, 2013), alumni and their families will congregate on campus to celebrate an annual ritual: RPI reunion. Folks who received their degrees in years ending in 3 or 8 will revisit the site of their student days, … Continue reading
On May 20, 1862, 10 days after Rensselaer’s physical plant was completely destroyed in The Great Troy Fire, the Institute’s trustees began planning a new home for Rensselaer. Under the leadership of John Flack Winslow, the trustees quickly accepted a … Continue reading