Category Archives: Troy NY

Even Further Back Down the Hill

The construction of the Main Building in 1864 marked the beginning of the steady expansion of Rensselaer’s campus up the hill on Troy’s eastern edge. There were two exceptions: the Gymnasium (the subject of our December 3 post) built just … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Building History, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History, Troy NY | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Up the Hill Continued: Winslow Chemical Laboratory

Following the completion of the Main Building in 1864 planning was initiated for a chemical laboratory for the Institute. Construction was started in 1865 and work on the brick structure was completed the following year. The cost of the building … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History, Troy NY | Tagged , | Leave a comment

The Main Building

On May 20, 1862, 10 days after Rensselaer’s physical plant was completely destroyed in The Great Troy Fire, the Institute’s trustees began planning a new home for Rensselaer.  Under the leadership of John Flack Winslow, the trustees quickly accepted a … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History, Troy NY | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

The Great Fire

May 10th of this year was the 150th anniversary of Troy’s Great Fire. The fire destroyed a major portion of the city’s downtown including the Institute’s entire physical plant. It was an important event in Rensselaer’s history because it marks … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History, Troy NY | 1 Comment

Online Gallery Raises the Curtain on a New Archives Exhibit

During the construction of EMPAC, the Institute Archives and Special Collections had an exhibit in the Folsom Library lobby about performance spaces at RPI.  Now with EMPAC well into its third year as a complete and dedicated space for the … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History, Troy NY | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment