Category Archives: Building History

Continuing Up the Hill: the Rensselaer Student’s Association Clubhouse

In 1906 a committee of Rensselaer graduates met in New York City for the purpose of organizing a Rensselaer Student’s Association. During the first decade of the 20th century the majority of the Institute’s 485 students resided off-campus in Troy … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Building History, Rensselaer Union, Student Life | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Continuing Up the Hill: Campus Dormitory and the Rensselaer Student’s Association Clubhouse

Campus Dormitory: The Warren House, acquired with the 1905 purchase of the Warren estate property, was converted into a student dormitory in 1907 and remained the only campus housing until 1916. The house was officially named the Campus Dormitory by a … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Building History, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History, Rensselaer Union, Student Life, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Continuing Up the Hill: William Weightman Walker Laboratory

The first two buildings erected on the Warren estate property, purchased by the Institute after the 1904 fire which destroyed the Main Building, were the Carnegie Building (described in our last Continuing Up the Hill post) and Walker Laboratory. These … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Building History, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Commencement, 1916

Every year leading up to commencement, we revisit the proud heritage that we have here at Rensselaer and offer the community glimpses into our history.  To the Class of 2016, we congratulate you and wish you the best moving forward. … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Building History, Commencement, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History, Student Life, Troy NY | Leave a comment

Continuing Up the Hill: the Carnegie Building

In our last two Continuing Up the Hill posts we described the Warren estate property purchased by the Institute after the 1904 fire that destroyed the Main Building. The first building to be erected on the newly acquired property was … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Building History, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History | Tagged , | Leave a comment