Author Archives: svr1824

Continuing Up the Hill: William Weightman Walker Laboratory

The first two buildings erected on the Warren estate property, purchased by the Institute after the 1904 fire which destroyed the Main Building, were the Carnegie Building (described in our last Continuing Up the Hill post) and Walker Laboratory. These … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Building History, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Continuing Up the Hill: the Carnegie Building

In our last two Continuing Up the Hill posts we described the Warren estate property purchased by the Institute after the 1904 fire that destroyed the Main Building. The first building to be erected on the newly acquired property was … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Building History, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Continuing Up the Hill: College Pond

In our last “Continuing up the Hill” post we described the acquisition of the Warren property in 1905 following the fire which destroyed the Main Building. Along with a house and stable, the property contained 10.5 acres. During the next … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Building History, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute History, Troy NY | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

Happy Birthday SVR

November 1 is the 250th anniversary of Stephen Van Rensselaer’s birthday. Fifth in direct descent from Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, the first Patroon, Stephen Van Rensselaer III (1764-1839) inherited a vast landed estate in Rensselaer and Albany counties at age 5. … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Continuing up the Hill: The Warren Property

During the mid-19th and early 20th centuries fire twice played a seminal role in determining the Institute’s future location. The destruction of Rensselaer’s entire physical plant during the Great Troy Fire of 1862 resulted in its initial move up the … Continue reading

Share
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment